Tuesday, January 3, 2012

A Gifty Tray

Hi!
I have a really fun project for you today! I am already starting my Valentine's gifts (I know, I'm shocked, too) and I wanted to make my mom something special that she keep updating as my kids get older.  Enter the 7Gypsies tray paired with SP & Company stamps and some papers from the SP Store.

I chose a small, simple tray - it has 4 sections - 1 large and 3 small.


I decided to use magnetic tape in the tray, so everything I give her can always be added or removed.



Even though you might not be able to find the exact same tape, I know similar ones are sold both online and in stores.


I added magnets to each section and then picked out some pictures and added magnets to the back of all of them.  I also wrote down the sizes so I would have them in the future so I can keep giving different pictures and embellishments to my mom so she can keep this updated.



I didn't just want boring old pictures.  I wanted some interchangeable items, too.  I figured a picture from my son's first year of Middle School would work perfectly with the Vintage Varsity set and some corkboard.

First, I stamped Circletastic in white on the corkboard and then I stamped 2011 using Memento Black Ink.  These stamps worked wonderfully on the cork.



Then I used some paper from My Mind's Eye (Away We Go) and created a mini scrapbook page to fit into the large section.

I placed the picture and a tag with his name on there and ran it through the sewing machine.


After I sew on paper, I hold the ends in place with plain old scotch tape.  This lays flatter than tying a knot and it's easy to hide - just adhere more paper on the back to cover it up!


I added a few buttons as embellishments and here is what they all look like together:


I also created a few other versions so the tray can be switched around as much as she wants.  Here is a version I did that is zoo-themed.  I put a few layers of decorative Scotch tape on Kraft and die cut them out.


Then, I ran them through the sewing machine and adhered them onto some patterned paper that I had stamped Circletastic on in black ink.


I also made a Love-Themed tray using some SP & Company stamps (I Love Love).  These are just too fun.  I cut out a mini envelope using my Silhouette.  I placed that little guy on the Echo Park Yours Truly Hugs & Kisses stock.  This is part of this month's SP & Company Club Kit, but it can also be purchased in single sheets, too.  I will enable and say that with Valentine's Day right around the corner, you NEED this stock.  :-)


I also cut out some letters and inked them up using a sponge.  I used white ink first and then red.  It just makes it a little more interesting to look at.


And to hold all of the pictures and embellishments, I cut out two envelopes and used the dry-brush technique on them to give them some pop!


Dry-brushing is easy and sounds like exactly what it is - using paint without water.  I simply use some acrylic paint and dip the brush in it.  I swipe it on a scratch piece of paper a few times to get rid of the excess paint and then I paint onto the project I'm working on.


For this particular envelope, I used some spray mist first and then dry-brushed in white.  I also dry brushed on the stickers I placed on there (it says PICTURES) to make it all work well together.  The frame is from Lovely Labels and was just perfect for this piece.

When that was done, I flipped it over and punched two holes, one on the flap and one on the envelope and put brads in the holes.



Then, I simply wrapped twine around the brads so there is a way to keep the envelope shut.  We don't want the contents falling out!!!



Thanks for stopping by today.  I hope this has given you some ideas - you can make some simple gifts {that will be loved} using just minimal supplies and stamps! And make sure you are checking out the SP Stamps blog everyday (this is on there today) - we have inspiration for you EVERY DAY!!!












Stamps: SP & Company
Stock: My Mind's Eye, Echo Park, BoBunny (Zoo stock), Stampin Up (Cork), Recollections (Kraft)
Brads: Making Memories
Ink: Memento, PTI
Twine & Dies: PTI
Digi Images for Silhouette: Kerri Bradford, Lori Whitlock
Tray: 7Gypsies
Other: Singer Sewing Machine, Crop-a-dile II, patterned Scotch tape, Tim Holtz tiny attacher


Shop with SP anytime 24/7 at the SP and Company Store! If you need any help, be sure to email Sami at scrapmastersparadise@yahoo.com. Don't forget to sign up for the SP Weekly Newsletter (Click here!)!


3 comments:

  1. Hi Chrissie,
    LOVE LOVE your beautiful trays...!!! You inspire me to make one :D
    TFS.

    Tenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found my tray yesterday that I had started for the Halloween one I was making and honestly, you are awesome for thinking of the magnetic tape!!!!! Genius! This was a big reason I didn't finish it (you know me though, but...), and this will make this project so much quicker for me to finish and update. LOVE this. And the pics you chose are some of my favorites!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your work. It's a great idea and wonderful and special gift. Love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting!!! :)