Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Sheena Douglass Stencils and Mixed Media Tutorial

Hi!
I love stencils.  And I love Crafter's Companion.  Want to know what's great? Crafter's Companion is going to start carrying stencils! Yep! Talk about making my day!!!!

I was lucky enough to get my hands on some new Sheena Douglass stencils! I used The Big Apple for this project.  I paired it up with a stamp set called Stamp It Australia: Around the World that has the Statue of Liberty included in the set.  Things that coordinate together make me SO happy!


First thing's first: adhere your stencil and card base down.  You will not be happy camper if that stencil moves while you are applying paste or ink!



I decided to tint my Dreamweaver White Embossing Paste, so I scribbled some IG7 (Spectrum Noir Marker) down onto my non-stick craft mat.


Then, using a palette knife, I mixed paste into the color.


I added the grey paste onto the stencil.  Then I also added a little white, too, to create an ombre effect.


After I peeled my stencil away (and I washed it immediately!), I placed my Dreamweaver Cross Stitch stencil down on top of the wet paste.  This may seem scary, but I placed it down and pressed gently, so nothing would be ruined.


Cool, huh? I truly love the different patterns and colors here, even without coloring in the image!


I wasn't done yet.  I decided to add some embossing powder onto the wet paste!


I dried it all with a heat gun.  You can also let it air dry.  The heat gun makes the powder bubble a little bit, but I wanted that to happen.  Then I finally colored in the image using Spectrum Noir Markers IG7, LG3, LG4, IG4.


Once everything was dry, I pulled out my Distress Inks and added more color in (Vintage Photo, Pumice Stone, Mustard Seed).


This is the fun part about mixed media projects: you don't have to stop! Hee hee hee! I added in some Desert Sand Fireworks AND some Gold Sheer Shimmer Spritz spray!


I heat embossed a fun sentiment from Sentimentals: Love Is All You Need and cut it into a banner before placing on the card.


The final piece is a work of art! It shimmers and shines and there are so many interesting layers to look at!

Thanks for stopping by today!










All supplies linked above and available in the Crafter's Companion Store unless otherwise noted.

Patterned Paper: Simple Stories
Cardstock: Recollections
Embossing Powder: ZING

Follow Me!
Follow on Bloglovin
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting!!! :)