Monday, October 22, 2012

Reflecting Stamps

Hi! I got a lot of comments (and questions) on my card that I shared for the current challenge (Try a New Technique), so I figured I would show you how to make a reflected image! Trust me, it may look intimidating, but it is super, super easy! Even the supplies you need are limited: stamps, ink, paper and acetate are the only main supplies.  If you think you don't have acetate, you do - it's on the back of pretty much all of the clear stamps.  And unless you use Staz-On ink (I use Memento), you can re-use your acetate for stamps after you've done this technique and cleaned it off! It's a win-win!

So, grab the image (or sentiment you want to use), ink it up and let's go!


So, the above picture shows my stamp on the block, the acetate and the ink I'm using.  I've decided the the reflected image is going to be the polar bear on an ice pond, so I've also die cut a circle that will be the pond and I've distressed the edges a little bit, too and I've put it aside.


I stamped my image on some nice white cardstock that I will later color in and fussy cut out.  Now, onto the scary part - the acetate!


Ink up your stamp and stamp directly onto the acetate. If you screw up, just wipe it off with a baby wipe or a damp paper towel.  As long as you don't use a permanent ink, it will come off right away.  The trick is to just stamp and go - try not to move, otherwise the image smears a little bit.  Oh, and even if it does smear, don't get upset - it's not 100% crisp when you reflect, so it's no biggie.  It's supposed to look a little blurry.


Now, just take your acetate, flip it over and press it onto the paper you want it on (wet ink side down).  Press on it gently and remove the acetate.


Was that painless or what??!!!! :-)

Here is the finished card I created:


The polar bear has a little light gray and light blue on his body, so I also colored in the reflection with light colors as well.  I tore some paper to make it look like snow drifts and added some glitter to the edges.  For the sky, I heat embossed snowflakes with clear embossing powder and then used a sponge to add the light blue and purple haze in the background.


Sooooo... What do you think? Are you itching to try this now?










2 comments:

Thank you so much for commenting!!! :)