Friday, May 22, 2015

Let's Make a Magnificent Mailing Box!!!

Hi!
Are you ready to make a magnificent mailing box with me? Let's get started! I am using supplies available from Crafter's Companion.  You will need a Big Score and some two sided patterned paper. I used the 12x18 Elegance cardstock (coming soon!).

Before I get started, I just want to explain what a Big Score is! It's a huge, awesome, amazing scoreboard! Sometimes I have projects that seem to be a little too big for even my Ultimate Tool. This is where the Big Score comes in handy! It's wayyyy bigger than your standard scoreboard.  You can score 12 x 18 cardstock with no problem.  As soon as I saw this come out, I knew it would work perfectly for me!

Now, onto the tutorial! There are a decent amount of steps, but it's not that hard.  Really, you are just turning your paper over and over again, doing pretty much the same (or similar) scores at each turn. Stick with me and you'll love the result!


Place your paper horizontally (short edge), and on the BOX BASE, score at 1 1/5, 8 1/4 and 9 3/4.


Flip your paper 90 degrees clockwise and then score at 1 1/2.  Make sure you stop at the farthest score that is already there (you did in step 1).

Rotate 180 degrees and score the 1 1/2 inch line to that same horizontal line on the other side.  You may want to place your scoring tool at the 1 1/2 inch line and score upwards, otherwise it's hard to see where you're scoring.  :)

Now, at the LID end - place the edge of the UNSCORED half (still landscape/short edge) against the BOX LID side.  Score at 1 1/2 inches.

Rotate 90 degrees clockwise.  Score at the 1 1/2 inch line until it meets the first horizontal line there.

Rotate 180 degrees and score at the 1 1/2 inch line again.  Stop at that first horizontal line.  Just like before, place the tool in the groove and score downwards (last time we did upwards) so you can see where you're scoring!


If you see that the scored lines are slightly off where they intersect, that is OK.  This is to make sure the lid fits.

Now, trim out the areas and make notches where the lines intersect:


Now, we're going to cut a window.  This is optional, but it really adds to the box! Score the area where you want the window cut.  The size is up to you.  For this box, I measured a 1/2 inch from the score lines, then scored where I wanted the window to be.


Then cut your window.  I just cut into the center and went around the edges with scissors.  You can use a blade/XActo, etc.  Whatever works for you.  If the edges are a bit rough, use an emery board to file them down.


See the beautiful window?? Yay!


I cut some heat resistant acetate and then glued in onto the inside.


I always use Collall's Tacky Glue for my 3D projects.  Always. It holds REALLY well and dries clear, which is what we want!!!

Now it's time to fold up and glue together all of the edges.  I'd recommend the same glue.  You will have to hold them together for about a minute each.  Or you can glue them and then paperclip them while they dry.




Now, also glue the tabs you've cut in the center to the box.  Use the same process - add glue and then hold it together so it sticks!




While the box dries, it's time to embellish! I stamped this awesome birthday image from the Sentimentals Imagine EZ Mount Stamp set in Memento Black ink.  Then I stamped some leaves and flowers from Sheena's Floral Fantasy Wild Rose & Hibiscus EZ Mount Stamp set in Staz On Jet Black Midi on watercolor paper.

I grabbed my Spectrum Aquas (Red Violet, Rose Pink, Sunflower, Moss, Bud Green) and used them to color in the flowers and leaves. I colored them onto an acrylic block and then added some water and painted them in.


I simply fussy cut them out and then adhered them to the top of the box lid.


And here is the finished piece:


Now, you don't have to use that 2 sided paper, but it's it SO pretty with a pattern inside, too??? Thanks for stopping by today and I hope you'll give it a try!








All supplies available on the Crafter's Companion website and linked above!



Follow Me!
Follow on Bloglovin
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting!!! :)