Friday, March 8, 2013

SP & Company Crop - Resist Embossing

Hi!
Welcome to the SP & Company online crop! I hope you are having a good time! I want to share a technique that I use pretty frequently called resist embossing.  It's very easy to do and gives you a very cool effect on your projects.

You will need:
Versamark ink (or another slow drying ink)
Embossing powder
Heat Gun
Stamps
Distress ink or markers or watercolors

In my first shot, you can see that I'm using this little chalker.  This, by no means is a required tool! But if you use it and tap is gently on the paper before you emboss, you will end up with a cleaner embossed image and less extra little flakes left behind.


After I've chalked up my paper, I stamped my image in VersaMark.  You don't have to use VersaMark (also known as watermark ink), but you will have to use a slow drying ink so the embossing powder has something to adhere to.  This dress form stamp is from the Sewing Chic set.


I use a coffee filter to protect my area from the white embossing powder.  I do have a catch tray, but this is easier to dump back into the container.


I gently flick the paper with my fingers to remove the excess powder.  You can also use a paintbrush to remove and other extra powder.  Then I use my heat gun to emboss the powder.


I broke out my distress inks and I stamped onto a small acrylic block.


By using a paintbrush with the distress ink and a little water, you can see what I created below:


I just brushed over the image.  Since it is embossed, it will resist the ink (hence the name of the technique)! You don't have to use distress ink and water, either.  You can use regular inks, paints and even markers (I just water them down a little bit)!

Here is the finished card:


I added some sequins and a sentiment from the new set that comes out on March 10th called Certified Awesome Additions.



For my next project, I also used the same technique, but this time I used a colored embossing powder instead of white and I just rubbed ink onto the card instead of using a paintbrush.


I used Chevron Chase Background for this card.


I just took my little sponge tool and rubbed the ink over the top of the card, using more at the top and less as I went down to create a slight ombre effect.  I also used a paper towel when I was done to wipe off the excess ink.  This makes the yellow embossed design pop a little more!


Here is the finished card.  I combined Certified Awesome with Certified Awesome Additions.


I also sprayed the card base with some mist, just to create some extra interest.


I hope you will give this technique a try! We have different techniques and projects happening today and tomorrow (with Sunday to work on them all), so make sure to check out the SP & Company Facebook page and the BLOG for all of the details and inspiration!!!











Stamps: SP & Company
Embossing Powder: Ranger, Zing
Spray: Studio Calico
Inks: VersaMark, Memento, VersaMagic, Tim Holtz Distress Inks
Sequins: Making Memories

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting!!! :)